In case you were ever wondering "what's going on in the diocese?" here's some of the things that have been (and will be) happening in the diocese.
A Brief Update re Various Diocesan Pastoral Initiatives
Youth Ministry Formation Program
- Courses 5 and 6 were delivered successfully this past Fall
- Currently there are 13 full-time candidates and one (Susan Brothers) who is auditing courses
- Note: Former full-time candidate Lauren van Vliet (completed the first four courses last year), who is presently pursuing her M. Div. in Toronto, intends to complete the program over the next two years as well, while studying in Ontario.
- Next course is offered in February, 2013 and the final course is in April, 2013.
- To help bring closure to this two-year formation journey, a retreat week-end is being planned for the candidates on June 8 and 9, 2013.
Young Adult Ministry Information Gathering
- A gathering was held in early November to explore possible areas of outreach by young adults
- A presentation was shared with the Presbyteral Council in November highlighting efforts from 2011-2012 (i.e. focus group, “bear-pit”, and day of reflection)
- Next gathering of young adults is planned for late January/ early February to provide further information re potential outreach activities identified by them (e.g. prison ministry, youth with addictions, Solomon’s Porch operation)
- There is also the possibility of young adults preparing and serving a meal at the Upper Room in March…this is yet to be finalized
- It is also intended that a web-page be developed as a communication tool to better connect with young adults
- There will also be a retreat for young adults in May 2013…plans are preliminary at this stage
Public Communication Efforts
- Press releases regarding Vacation Bible Camp participants raising more than $1300 for the Iraqi Refugee Initiative and the canonization of Kateri Tekakwitha were issued in September and October respectively
- A Christmas Banner (Peace on Earth) was developed for the Advent Season 2012
- A special address by the Bishop entitled “Table Fellowship” was delivered for the St. Vincent de Paul Dinner (December 6, 2012).
- The Bishop’s letter re Reverence for the Human Person was published in the Guardian and Journal Pioneer, in early Advent (December 8, 2012).
Diocesan Catechetical Committee
- To-date the committee has successfully reviewed four programs
- The committee will commence in earnest their decision-making process re a preferred program for youth catechesis in January (next meeting Jan. 16th, 2013)
- Ultimate recommendation by the committee re a program for the Diocese will be submitted to the Bishop no later than March 2013
- In the interest of facilitating implementation of the preferred program, a proposed Orientation Session for clergy in late Spring has been discussed as a potential approach by the committee
Diocesan Refugee Sponsorship Committee
- At the next meeting (January 23rd, 2013) information/insights from the Conference in Toronto will be shared by various conference attendees
- Efforts to foster sustained interest/support for refugee sponsorship at the parish level will be identified and then implemented/coordinated by committee members
- Preliminary plans for possible Spring workshop/public lecture re Social Justice Church teachings that underpin refugee sponsorship will be explored at the next meeting as well
- CIC’s response to Bishop’s letter of November 5th will be tabled at the next meeting if received prior to January 23rd, 2013.
Lay Pastoral Associates Formation Program
- As a follow-up to the presentations given at the four Zone meetings in November, a letter signed by Fr. John Lacey and accompanied by a brochure outlining the program has been forwarded in early January to all pastors and chairpersons of Pastoral Councils soliciting potential interest in the program
- In addition presentations about the program by members of the Diocese of Charlottetown Adult Faith Formation (DCAFF) will be made upon request to parish Pastoral Councils or groups of interested would-be candidates
- As well, further public information/promotion about the program will be communicated by way of a possible press release in early February, 2013.