With modern computer resources a person can take college level courses in the comfort of their own home. One needs an interest and self discipline to complete the work in a timely manner. The Newman Theological College in Edmonton Alberta has set up The Benedict XVI Institute to facilitate this learning with a series of courses leading to a Certificate in Catholic Studies. Here is some of their material. For further information contact Mr. Gerry Gabriel at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Benedict XVI Institute
The Benedict XVI Institute for New Evangelization aims to serve the New Evangelization by developing and offering innovative programs in faith formation and catechesis. Course offerings are aimed at ordained ministers, parish pastoral assistants and volunteers, and the general public.
The Institute was founded in response to the call of Archbishop Richard Smith, who identified faith formation as a key priority for the Archdiocese of Edmonton. It also implements proposals of the XIII General Synod of Bishops on the New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith. Among other things, the synod called for good catechesis of adults and strong formation for catechists. They also asked all Catholic universities and theological faculties to consider the New Evangelization an integral dimension of their mission. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI made the New Evangelization a central theme throughout his papacy, and so was a natural source for the name of the new institute.
The Benedict XVI Institute currently offers the following faith enrichment opportunities:
A comprehensive selection of courses on various aspects of the Catholic faith, all offered online, which can be taken individually for interest, or applied toward a specialized Certificate in Catholic Studies. This user-friendly format has grown rapidly and is being accessed by hundreds of people across the world.
Online Faith Formation Courses and Programs
We offer a comprehensive selection of courses on various aspects of the Catholic faith. All are offered online, so you can study from the comfort of home and work around your personal schedule. Each course runs five weeks. Take an individual course for interest, or work toward one or all of the 22 specialized Certificates in Catholic Studies.
This program is open to adults and youth of all backgrounds and education levels in all countries.
- Foundations in Faith Year I (FFI)
- Foundations in Faith Year II (FFII)
- Certificates in Catechesis
- Certificate in Catholic School Trusteeship (CST)
- Certificates in Diaconate Discernment
- Certificates in Eastern Christian Traditions
- Certificate in International Development (ID)
- Certificate for Lectors in the Eastern Christian Rite (LEC)
- Certificate in Liturgy (LIT)
- Certificate in Mercy in the Catholic Tradition (MER)
- Certificate in New Evangelization (NE)
- Certificate in Pastoral Care (PC)
- Certificate in Religious Education (RE)
- Certificate in Sacramental Preparation (SP)
- Certificates in Scripture
- Certificate in Social Justice (SJ)
- Certificate in Youth Evangelization (YE)