Wednesday Communiqué – May 3, 2017
100th Anniversary – Fatima Apparitions: Our Lady of Fatima, Knights of Columbus Council #824 will commemorate this anniversary on Saturday, May 13, 2017 with a public procession, recitation of the rosary and a reception following Saturday evening Mass. The procession will leave the Basilica at 3:45 PM. All are encouraged to attend and celebrate this anniversary of Our Lady’s appearance.
- Our Lady of Hope Retreat Center is now open – at 67 Reid Road, RR#1, Stanley Bridge, PE C0A 1E0. Phone: 902-621-2385 / e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / fax: 621-2387 / website: https://hopepei.com/
Diocesan Spring Video Conference: “Eucharist and Mission” Saturday, May 13, 10 am to 1 pm. Facilitated by Marilyn Sweet, retired Director of Liturgy for the Archdiocese of Halifax. Room 201-W, Holland College, Charlottetown Centre (Kent St. close to Cumberland St.) No charge. Come together to explore the relationship between Eucharist and life. Coffee and tea provided. Bring your own lunch. To register: email@example.com or 902-368-8005 by May 10. Sponsored by the Diocesan Liturgical Commission.
New Bulletin Announcements this Week:
- Family Retreats are a great chance to spend some quality time with your own and to meet other Catholic families. The Thursday evening thru Sunday Retreats are held at Kolbe Retreat Center in Grand River PEI. The $250 registration fee covers all food and lodging for your whole family. The retreats schedule for this summer: June 29-July 2, July 13-16, July 20-23 (full), Aug 10-13 and Aug 24-27. Space is limited so please register early.
More information: www.hfmpei.com e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org call: 902-854-2719 text: 902-432-9595.
- Refugee Sponsorship Opportunity: We are looking for a parish community to step forward to sponsor a single, 28 year-old Somali refugee. His father and mother are deceased and he is currently on his own in Malaysia. His aunt and uncle have resided in Charlottetown for the past ten years and are willing to assist in his settlement and integration. Please notify the Diocesan Centre, if your parish is interested or wishes additional information. (Submitted by Gerald Gabriel, on behalf of the Diocesan Refugee Sponsorship Advisory Committee.)
- The Knights of Columbus of Prince Edward Island have a brand-new web site: kofcpei.com All are encouraged to visit the site. Knights may send in announcements and photos to email@example.com to be posted and shared with the world.
- Martha Spirituality Centre offers an Easter-themed Retreat Day on Sat., May 20 from 10 am to 3 pm with Bishop Richard Grecco. His theme is Faith, Belief and Emotion an Easter Gift: the Signs and Symbols that convey meaning to Christians, that enrich our lives and our humanity. Cost is $30. per person or $50 a couple.
- Martha Life could be for you! — Come and See on May 8: The Sisters of St. Martha are inviting women interested in finding out more about religious life to come to a gathering on Monday, May 8 at 7:00 pm. As the congregation is committed to prayer, ministry and community life in a spirit of simplicity, attentiveness and hospitality, the evening will include prayer, interaction and sharing basic information on the life and mission of the Marthas here on PEI. This gathering will be the first in a series taking place at the Martha Spirituality Centre at SDU Place on Great George Street in Charlottetown. To express interest in coming to this gathering, women are asked to contact 902-367-3103 or message firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Twenty-Eighth Annual Scripture Institute: July 3 – 6, St. Pius X church. Keepers of the Holy Doors of Mercy – Presented by Sr. Elizabeth Davis, RSM. Brochures will soon be available in the churches.
Repeated from Last Week’s Communiqué:
- Convocation 2017 Mass: Are you or someone you know graduating this year? UPEI Graduates, their families and friends are invited to a gathering to celebrate and give thanks for the accomplishments of the Class of 2017, Friday, May 12, 9:30 am, Chaplaincy Centre, UPEI. Note the new time and please help spread the word. For further information, please contact Sister Susan Kidd, CND Campus Minister email@example.com 902-894-2876.
- The next Teen Encounter Weekend is May 12th-14th at Our Lady of Hope Retreat Centre. Apply online at: http://dioceseofcharlottetown.com/teen-encounter-registration/ (Please note: we are asking everyone to submit applications – even those who applied in the past but had to defer acceptance, or those who were on a wait list)
- The Mikinduri Children of Hope organization is selling $20 gift cards to fund kits for girls and women in Kenya. It is a washable, reusable “feminine hygiene kit”, allowing her to stay in school while on her period, which significantly increases her chances of having a much better life. If you would like to buy a kit for Mother’s Day or to support this initiative, please go to the UPEI Bookstore (cash only) or contact Emily Ross by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.