In August 2007, the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame in the Diocese of Charlottetown celebrated their 150th Anniversary. The ministry that brought the sisters to Charlottetown in 1857 was to establish a school for the education of young girls.
For over 100 years students from Charlottetown and from across the Prince Edward Island and other areas of Eastern Canada came to Notre Dame to participate in the opportunities provided. Music, singing, art, home economics and the basic courses of reading, writing, mathematics, science as well religious education all formed part of the curriculum. The pupils from Charlottetown were the day students and those from outside the town were known as boarders, because Notre Dame was a boarding school as well.
Young women also came to board at Notre Dame and attend Prince of Wales College in order to become teachers and continue the tradition of Notre Dame in the schools where they taught be it on the Island or in places far away.
In the years following 1857 sisters were invited to establish schools in various areas of the Island from Tignish to Souris including Miscouche, Rustico and Summerside.
While there are no sisters presently teaching in Prince Edward Island schools, the sisters in the Diocese continue to have an interest in former students, a few work in Parish ministry, some are involved in outreach by visiting people in senior homes, others tutor students, three sisters work in The Marguerite Bourgeoys Centre in Summerside and others have a ministry of prayer for the many intentions that come to us by way of phone calls, letters and personal contacts. In these ways we continue the purpose for which we were established in the Diocese, to proclaim by our entire life the Good News of a God of Love.
Excerpt from an article written by Sr. Elizabeth Dunn, CND for the 150th Anniversary of the presence of the Sisters in the Diocese of Charlottetown. For more information, please visit their website at: http://www.peichurches.com/