Born at Broad Cove, Cape Breton in 1901
Bishop of the Diocese of Charlottetown: 1955-1970
Bishop Malcolm was a graduate of St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish. He studied theology at the Grand Seminary of Montreal and in 1927 he was ordained to the priesthood for service in the Diocese of Antigonish.
Father MacEachern was curate at Sydney Mines for three years and then on the faculty of St. F.X. University for two years. From there he was sent to Louvain University in Belgium where in 1935 he merited a Ph.D. in philosophy. Earlier he had earned a doctorate in theology from the University of Montreal. He rejoined the St. F.X. faculty in 1935 as professor of philosophy, a position he held until 1951 when he was named pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in New Waterford.
Late in 1954 Father MacEachern was appointed Bishop of Charlottetown and was consecrated in St. Ninian’s Cathedral, Antigonish on January 18, 1955. During the Bishop MacEachern years there was much new diocesan construction. S.D.U. added Marian Hall, a modern rink, Kelley Library, Duffy Science Building and Bernadine Hall. Other new structures included the large nurses’ residence of the Charlottetown Hospital, the Sacred Heart Home and the bishop’s residence-chancery (Dun Glaston). Two new parishes, St. Pius X and Southport were formed. Three Eucharistic Congresses were held in the diocese and in 1968 a missionary outreach into Latin America was begun with the sending of several priests there.
The great Second Vatican Council took place during the Bishop MacEachern years here and he participated in all four autumn sessions, 1962-1965 inclusive. He also anxiously began arranging the many changes emanating from the Council. The sale of the S.D.U. campus in 1969 and the disappearance of this beloved 114-year-old seat of learning was a difficult moment for the bishop and diocese. Bishop MacEachern retired in February of 1970 and took up residence at St. F.X. University, Antigonish. He died on March 28, 1982 and is buried in St. Margaret’s Church Cemetery, Broad Cove, the bishop’s native parish.